Club: Halton Hills Blue Fins
City: Georgetown, Ontario
Swimming / Coaching background :
Swam Club for HHBF 1996 – 2001
Swam High School for GDHS 1999 – 2003
Assistant Head Coach HHBF 2008/09-Present
Mentors or coaches who influenced your career in a positive way? Why do you identify them?
1) Coach Mike Thompson, HHBF Head Coach (and my boss)
A leading voice in Canadian swimming, very passionate and brings great new ideas and new energy to a sport that needs it, as it continues to change and grow!
2) Coach Michael White, My Age Group coach (when I swam for HHBF in the late 90?s).
A role model that inspired and motivated me to be the best I could be. He pushed me hard, yet supported me, and made me a better person for it.
3) My Mom & Dad
Always there for me no matter what. They were my first athletic and life coaches.
4) Coach Jon Newcombe
My High School Swim Coach who taught me a lot about the mental side of competition and racing as well as team building and team dynamics. He still is a good resource and a good friend.
Hobbies or other interests
- Spending time with my family
- Plant Based Nutrition
- Ultra-running & Triathlons
- Music (listening & playing)
- Volunteer High School Swimming & Running
- My blog: www.bringoutyourbest.blogspot.ca
Describe your philosophy or favourite quote(s) regarding sport / coaching / etc…
- Don’t let anyone out train you!
- Be the change you want to see!
Recent Swimming Canada courses you have completed
- Swimming 101
- Swimming 201
Are there any other coaching related courses you have taken?
- 2012 FINA Open Water Coaches Clinic – Welland Ontario
- Regional “Learn to Train” Camp
- Regional “Fundamentals” Camp
What have you gotten out of the courses you have attended?
- Great Ideas & Great Resources!
- NCCP, CSCTA and Swimming Canada Certified Fundamentals Coach
- NCCP, CSCTA and Swimming Canada Certified Age Group Coach